Thursday, May 26, 2005

Ring ring

Recently I went to a screening of the Jet Li film Unleashed, which I reviewed in Isthmus. During the movie I was vexed by a din of cell phones: they rang frequently, and even more maddeningly, their owners took the calls. The kid in front of me must have taken four calls, and when he was not speaking, he seemed to be texting.

Isn't this a bit much? Why bother to go to a movie at all? I might have spoken up except that I was there on a press comp, a privilege that, as I have learned, theater managers can revoke with extreme prejudice. So I like to keep a low profile. But if I had paid for that ticket! Actually, even in that case I probably would have just tried to find a more isolated seat. In these situations I usually find that active protesting only stresses me out.

No comments: