Monday, November 27, 2006

Don't you forget

I just had a great idea, inspired by all the hoopla surrounding Emilio Estevez and his new Robert Kennedy biopic: a Breakfast Club reunion movie. Gather up Estevez, Ally Sheedy and all the others (except Paul Gleason, who played the mean principal and died earlier this year) and conceive of some set of circumstances that would bring them all together again. The obvious one is a class reunion, assuming they're all in the same class. Then just get them stuck for eight hours in an airport lounge somewhere, and you've got your movie.

I don't think The Breakfast Club holds up all that well in retrospect, but when it came out in 1985, I found it genuinely exciting. I was a lad of 14 and, like the teenage characters in the film, I lived in a permanently baffled state and tried my best not to let it show. I especially enjoyed the smug Judd Nelson character, and to this day favor dark overcoats like the one he wore, though it's been years since I had a Marlboro habit.

The year 2010 will be the 25th anniversary of the release of The Breakfast Club. This project is a no-brainer (why do I suspect I'm not the first to think of it?). Have your people call my people.

No comments: