Wednesday, November 06, 2002

Call me a morning-after pill, but I find it hard to get too exercised about the election results. I'd rather the Democrats have fared better, of course, but more and more these days I find following politics a bit like reading accounts of chess matches in the New York Times--I can summon mild interest at best. Plus, if I have any pet political concern it's gay rights, and this fall the most unfortunate anti-gay statement and insinuation came from Democrats in, respectively, South Carolina and South Dakota. Besides, any election season that produces the sound bite, "Two gay men and a Shih Tzu" can't be all bad.

This morning I'm grudgingly of the opinion that maybe Nader was right--increasingly the parties are indistinguishable. Don't get me wrong, though: I'll vote Democratic every chance I get, and I'll never forgive Nader for killing my baby.

Mostly I'm just glad I don't live in either South Carolina or South Dakota. I live right here in delightful Madison, where we proudly reelected our lesbian Congresswoman--insert "you go girl" here, because I can't bring myself to--and threw the Republican bum out of the governor's mansion. Part of me wishes the quixotic gubernatorial campaign of Rev. Dr. Aneb Jah Rasta Sensas Utcha Nefer-1 had succeeded, but there's always '06.

No comments: