Thursday, February 06, 2003

I'm folding laundry and listening to Lucinda Williams' Car Wheels On A Gravel Road. To make things more interesting, I decided to blog random thoughts as they entered my head. Some of these stem from lunch with Bob earlier today.

The Elvis dry cleaners in Chicago
How much live music I saw last year, and how glad that makes me. Lucinda Williams at that outdoor show in Nashville last summer was really charming and great
Also, new music period is really good, not that Car Wheels is all that new, but still
Southern accents
Dave Esmond of Mudride is a really nice guy
The Rutles
The French movie 8 Women is really, really, really, really, really good
High school is really intense
All the holiday's bourgeois trappings notwithstanding, I'm glad I have a valentine this Valentine's Day
Oh, she sang "June bug vs. hurricane." I thought at first it was "June bug vs. cocaine"
Before I played guitar, I seem to recall musing out loud that my first guitar would be a twelve-string. I seem also to recall that someone talked me out of this. Thank you, whoever you are
This is a great album. That was a really good concert. I need to blog about the chick fight that broke out right in front of me at that concert
I ought to write a talking blues about the atomic bomb project in Oak Ridge, Tennessee
What is the Spanish word for brother?
There's a brand new streetcar line down Canal St. in New Orleans. This is exciting. I once dragged a group of bored graduate students with me for a thrill ride on the St. Charles line, and later they thanked me
This song ("Lake Charles") has the same beat and tempo as Al Green's "Let's Stay Together"
Lot of angels on this record
I accidentally laundered Carol's grace cards. Oh well
At St. Vinnie's today I found a copy of Sterling Hayden's memoir! I've had an eye out for this for years now!
My favorite Sterling Hayden performance is in Kubrick's The Killing, but my earliest exposure to him was no doubt in 9 to 5
I can't decide whether I want to go to the Steve Earle concert tomorrow
The problem with attractive stage clothes is that the chaos inherent in performing tends to ensure that they get messed up too soon
Here's "I Lost It." This song rocks
Today I encountered something more annoying than a server who says, "Do you need change?": "How much change do you need?"
There are a lot of great shows coming up
The Junkers really should do Jimmy Martin's "Grand Ole Opry Song"
Bob and I were talking about great political songs, and I decided on the fly that my favorite political song is Jimmy Dean's "Big Bad John"
The New Recruits, a Madison punk band, have a song "Oprah Christ." It has lines that go something like: "Oprah's just like Jesus / She has a robe, and housewives love her"
This makes folding laundry more fun. I hate folding laundry. Ereck will be glad I folded laundry
Done! I want to thank Lucinda, Carol, the Healing Force, and the Cave of the Unknown. Till next time, Gentle Readers.

No comments: