Monday, August 18, 2003

The nonjudgemental advice columnist

I always wanted to be an advice columnist, but they usually seem so preachy and snide. So I will be the upbeat Nonjudgemental Advice Columnist.

Here's my response to a question a reader posed recently to advice columnist Carolyn Hax. What do you think?

I've got a 9-year-old daughter and am getting married to a woman who has no kids, is ambivalent about wanting any and has had virtually no experience with them. Still, she gets along beautifully with my daughter and (I think) will find being a stepparent rewarding. She has problems, though, with my ex-wife (finds her controlling, which she is to an extent) and wants me dealing with her as little as possible. My ex and I have been reasonably cooperative regarding decisions about our kid. Is this ex-wife aversion something I should be worried about, or is this to be expected early on?

Single Dad


I'm sure whatever you do, you will work it out. Go for it! Congratulations on your impending nuptials!

Nonjudgemental Advice Columnist

No comments: