Sunday, February 22, 2004

Boggle

Did you ever step into the twilight zone? I figured my morning coffee had not quite kicked in when I read this on the web site of the New York Times: "Paul Schrader--the cinematic auteur who directed art-house classics like 'Raging Bull' and 'Taxi Driver.'"

Now, I may not know much about art, or film, or really anything, but when I crawled out of bed today, somewhere in the databank of my mind was stored the assumption that Taxi Driver and Raging Bull were directed by one Mr. Martin Scorsese. This seems an uncontroversial point, like saying Leonardo painted the Mona Lisa. But here was the Times, reporting otherwise.

I was all set to go back to bed--for a week--when I looked more closely at the article and saw this addendum:

An article on Page 19 of Arts & Leisure today about the making of the forthcoming movie "Exorcist: The Beginning" misstates the earlier involvement of the director Paul Schrader with "Raging Bull" and "Taxi Driver." He was the screenwriter; those movies were directed by Martin Scorsese.
I'm glad that's cleared up! The article is, fittingly, called "Enough Trouble to Make Your Head Spin." I suspect Jayson Blair had a hand in this.

No comments: