Monday, December 06, 2004

doofus.com

Apropos of my list of music videos (I forgot two important ones, BTW: the Tubes' "She's a Beauty" and Aldo Nova's "Fantasy"), it occurs to me: 'tis pity the Internet does not have a comprehensive database of music videos along the lines of the Internet Movie Database, or allmusic.com, or the Internet Broadway Database (or, for that matter, amazon.com, not only a fine e-commerce site but also a great reference work for information about books).

Someone enterprising, please get on that.

That reminds me of another idea I had for a web site. (Remember when simply having an idea for a web site could make you a zillionaire?) I'm a great lover of songs, and I'm also a great lover of Google because, among other reasons, it helps me identify songs based on fragmentary information. Type in a snippet of lyrics, and voila: there's the song. It's like magic.

But what if I can't remember any words? What if all I remember is a melody? It could be an instrumental, or a classical work, or one of those pop tunes that doesn't have much of a hook. I suppose I could hum the melody to everyone I know and hope that someone identifies it.

But why can't I hum the song into a computer and let the Internet identify it?

So that's my idea: Google for Melodies. Someone enterprising, please get on that too.

No comments: