Sunday, March 06, 2005

Weepies

Like members of the Darling family on "The Andy Griffith Show," I'm extremely sensitive, and music often makes me cry. So here are some performances (mostly recorded, though one important one was live) that have brought on the waterworks. The list began to get unwieldy, so I broke it down into rough categories. I'm not entirely satisfied with this taxonomy, but it'll do.

Having compiled this list, I must say: Tito, bring me a tissue.

Death and dying
Gilbert O'Sullivan, "Alone Again (Naturally)"
Liza Minnelli, "Cabaret"
The Carter Family, "Cyclone of Rye Cove"
The Verve Pipe, "The Freshmen"
Roy Acuff, "The Great Titanic"
Tanya Tucker, "The Man That Turned My Mama On"
TLC, "Waterfalls"

Sad people
Liz Phair, "Divorce Song"
The Beach Boys, "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)"
Julie Andrews, "Feed the Birds"
Robbie Fulks, "Forgotten But Not Gone"
Dixie Chicks, "Goodbye Earl"
Alanis Morisette, "Hands Clean"
Bette Midler, "Hello in There"
Tammy Wynette, "I Don't Want to Play House"
Toby Keith with Sting, "I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying"
Kelly Clarkson, "Low"
Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow, "Picture"
Tammy Wynette, "She Didn't Color Daddy"
Fountains of Wayne, "Stacy's Mom"
The Oak Ridge Boys, "Y'all Come Back Saloon"

Instrumentals

Flatt and Scruggs, "Foggy Mountain Breakdown"
Morris Stoloff, "Moonglow / Theme From Picnic"

Religious fervor
Tanya Tucker, "The Baptism of Jesse Taylor"
Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players, "Fondue Friends in Switzerland"
Red Foley, "Just a Closer Walk With Thee"

Sheer ecstasy
The 5th Dimension, "Aquarius / Let the Sunshine In"
Chicago, "Beginnings"
Madonna, "Express Yourself"
Shelley Duvall, "He Needs Me"
Tanya Tucker, "I Believe the South is Gonna Rise Again"
Las Ketchup, "The Ketchup Song (Hey Hah)"
Tanya Tucker, "Let Me Be There"
Madonna, "Like a Prayer"
Frankie Yankovic, "Pennsylvania Polka"
Blossom Dearie, "Rhode Island Is Famous For You"
The B-52's, "Roam"
Tanya Tucker, "San Antonio Stroll"
Willie Nelson, "Somewhere in Texas, Pt. 1"
Tanya Tucker, "Song Man"
Madonna, "Vogue"
Susannah McCorkle, "Waters of March"
Olivia Newton John, "Xanadu"

Torch
Judy Garland, "Better Luck Next Time"
Patsy Cline, "Faded Love"
Conway Twitty, "Fifteen Years Ago"
Shelley Plimpton, "Frank Mills"
Tanya Tucker, "Horseshoe Bend"
Dolly Parton, "I Will Always Love You"
Judy Garland, "It Only Happens When I Dance With You"
Elvis Presley, "Kentucky Rain"
Waylon Jennings, "The Last Letter"
Rod Stewart, "Mama You Been on My Mind"
Judy Garland, "The Man that Got Away"
Rosemary Clooney, "Memories of You"
Dolly Parton, "Most of All Why"
Madonna, "Sooner or Later"
Martin Price, "Sooner or Later"
Patsy Cline, "Sweet Dreams"
Hank Williams, "Wedding Bells"
George Jones, "You Oughta Be Here With Me"
Patty Loveless with George Jones, "You Don't Seem to Miss Me"

No comments: