Monday, August 08, 2005

Good night

I'm sad Peter Jennings died. I'm one of the eight people under age 60 who regularly watch evening news on the broadcast networks, and my newscast of choice has long been "World News Tonight With Peter Jennings." I've always thought he was fabulous: poised, erudite, sexy.

After Jennings went on sabbatical for his cancer treatment, I was disconcerted every time I watched the show and heard the announcer say, at the beginning, "This is 'World News Tonight With Peter Jennings.' Reporting tonight, Charles Gibson"--or Elizabeth Vargas, or whoever happened to be sitting in. I suppose ABC will go back to simply calling the show "World News Tonight."

It feels a little early for speculation, but I wonder who will replace Jennings? There is no obvious choice. ABC has not manifestly been grooming a successor, as NBC groomed Brian Williams to replace Tom Brokaw. And ABC does have not to contemplate naming a successor amid shame and chaos, as CBS did when Dan Rather stepped down. (CBS News apparently is still in chaos: no permanent replacement has emerged.) No, among the three network news organizations, ABC has been startlingly free of drama and anticipation.

I doubt Jennings' replacement will be Gibson, who has done the lion's share of anchoring in Jennings' absence. White House correspondent Terry Moran has looked at ease behind the anchor desk the times I've seen him there, mostly on weekend broadcasts, but he seems a little young. Diane Sawyer?

I for one would love to see Vargas get the job. I admire her work. She replaced Barbara Walters on "20/20" last year, but there's no reason she couldn't get another promotion. Vargas! Vargas! Vargas!

No comments: