Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Little things

It's all about the simple gifts, and I received today's simple gift as I was out driving around: the Who's "My Generation" came on, and although I know the song very well -- I once was a Who fanatic -- I had not heard it in quite some time. It was bliss. I have always had my doubts about Who singer Roger Daltrey, but I found myself transfixed by his performance on the record, especially his famous stuttering: "Why don't you all f-f-f-fade away." It's an utterly original trick he's doing, and utterly mysterious and great.

I've heard various explanations: the recording studio was cold, he was imitating someone on amphetamines, he did it once by accident and it stuck. But it makes all kinds of sense in a song about defiant young people: sometimes young people do baffling things just because. Perfect.

No comments: