Saturday, October 15, 2005

I want my MTV

It seems that along with the new video iPod, Apple is selling television content from iTunes, the company's online music store. The small selection of ABC reruns doesn't interest me -- I'm not burning to get caught up on Lost -- but I'm intrigued by the music video offerings.

I remember the earliest days of MTV very fondly, and I still get a little giddy even at the idea of seeing an old Split Enz video. So I checked, and although Apple's selection of classic stuff is small, there is promise: I see that the video for Dan Hartman's "I Can Dream About You" (1984) is available, as is the clip for Cheap Trick's "If You Want My Love" (1982). Both of these loomed large in my early adolescent consciousness, and I can't wait to download them.

Which makes me think: I surely can't be the only nostalgia-wracked Gen-Xer who would love to revisit lots of music video hits (and not-hits) from circa 1981-1985 -- and more to the point, who would pay to do so. I hope Steve Jobs is reading.

No comments: