Thursday, December 15, 2005

Still with the shushing

Not to beat a dead horse, but as I noted on the Isthmus Web site after I went to the movies a few weeks ago: I'm fed up with rude movie audiences. The most recent unpleasantness was tonight, again at Westgate, when my enjoyment of the excellent and moving comedy The Squid and the Whale was spoiled by the couple behind me, who talked for the first half hour. Just like the last time, I shushed them, and they stopped, mostly.

But it is stressful to have to keep shushing. I don't want to shush anymore. Is it normal to expect people not to talk at movies? Should I give up and stop going to movies?

I suspected we were in for it from the beginning when, at the sight of distributor Samuel Goldwyn Films' logo -- Samuel Goldwyn's signature -- the woman said loudly, "Now that's an interesting signature." Maybe so, lady, but we're not here to talk about it.

No comments: