Thursday, April 06, 2006

Whose space?

My MySpace profile mentions that I went to the University of Chicago, twice, which may be why I found this query in my mailbox, from "Fuser":
Date: Apr 6, 2006 2:09 AM
Subject: greetings
Body: Hello there, I may be attending the University of Chicago and was wondering if you could, perhaps share your experience there. I plan to study politics. Is it liberal or conservative?Thank You.
I replied:
Date: Apr 6, 2006 12:54 PM
Subject: RE: greetings
Body: Were you accepted? Depending on what you mean by conservative, the U of C is certainly more conservative than many universities. The U of C's economics department is ground zero for supply-side economics, for example, and its political science department is known for international relations scholars who are hardcore realists. The U of C was also home to many prominent neoconservatives, like Leo Strauss, Allan Bloom and Paul Wolfowitz.

However, the U of C is not socially conservative, in the Bible college sense.

For what it's worth, I'm a flaming liberal and loved the U of C. Whatever your politics, it is an excellent, challenging school, one of the very finest American universities. Undergrads there work hard and take intellectualism seriously.

Good luck and let me know what you decide. -k
I looked at Fuser's profile and noted that "Hugo Chavez" and "Neo-Che Guevera" are among his or her MySpace friends, so my reply may scare the Fuser off. I hope not.

It's a new use for social networking sites: Anonymous college counseling!

No comments: