Wednesday, September 20, 2006

No one said musicians aren't petty

Having blogged moments ago about the musicians' curse that is the mocking request for "Free Bird," I just thought of what will be, for me, the perfect response: To play Little Jimmy Dickens' 1965 smash hit "May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose." It's a wonderful, strange song, eminently recognizable, and it will fit well in my oeuvre. How is it that I've never made a habit of playing at least one Little Jimmy Dickens song per appearance? Sorry, Jimmy.

Best of all, the tune will be, in its cheerfully hostile way, an enjoyable, passive-aggressive Fuck You to whoever yelled "'Free Bird.'" I know my bandmates will appreciate it, if no one else does -- and the best in-jokes for musicians on stage are the ones that only the musicians even notice.

No comments: