Friday, September 15, 2006

This just in

Like many, I watched Katie Couric's debut last week on the "CBS Evening News," and I enjoyed it. I even took a bold step: I programmed the TiVo to record the "Evening News" every night instead of ABC's "World News." The latter has long been my evening newscast of choice, but my enthusiasm for it waned after Peter Jennings died last year, and waned still more through the Elizabeth Vargas interregnum and into the era of Charlie Gibson.

Guess what: I switched back to ABC. The Couric show is too -- how you say? -- squishy. And so far, at least, it is too little about hard news, too much about Katie Couric.

What's more, I found myself missing my old friends, the ABC correspondents: Betsy Stark, Brian Ross, Dan Harris, Jeffrey Kofman -- and, especially, the marvelous White House correspondent Martha Raddatz, whom I would marry if she weren't married and I weren't gay.

But what can I say? A year and more after his passing, I miss Peter Jennings. Fortunately, he lives on, thanks to the magic of television. Here is a "Daily Show" segment that starred a wonderfully game Peter Jennings.

No comments: