Monday, March 12, 2007

Challenging stage

One thing I forgot to mention in my Daily Page report from the historical museum's exhibit of classic video games: There is a high-score contest, and the best player at each game wins a T-shirt. Now, I don't know if you know this about me or not, but I am astonishingly good at Galaga. The convenience store near my high school had a Galaga machine, 20 years ago, and I spent many hours there blasting away. And while I don't remember much else from high school, I did retain the Galaga chops.

So good am I at Galaga, in fact, that one night at a gig a few years ago my musical partner Matthew proposed that the bar manager Joe and I play a game of Galaga for our night's fee, double or nothing. I saw that Joe was seriously considering this, but I realized that not much good would come of the match, regardless of the outcome. (Of course, I would have won.) So I called it off.

Now, though, it appears that my Galaga prowess could earn me a T-shirt, at least. So when I get a spare couple of hours this week, it will be time to play my old game.

No comments: