Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Going to a go-go

I enjoyed this article on the Chicago Sun-Times' web site about live-music venues in the Windy City. I'm interested in the experts' opinions of sound quality in various rooms, but mostly the article reminded me of all the great shows I saw over the ten years I lived in Chicago. I was much more invested in going to hear live music back then, and I managed to hit all but a handful of the venues the article lists.

Inevitably, the article omits several outstanding venues, like Symphony Center, the Atheneum, Ravinia and, of course, the University of Chicago's Mandel Hall.

If you're curious, here's who I saw, and where (in a couple of cases I saw not a band but a musical or opera):

Abbey Pub: Tim O'Brien, Peter Rowan

Allstate Arena: the Highwaymen

Alpine Valley Music Theatre: Haven't been! But my brother, my mom and I are going to catch the Dead there this summer

Aragon: the B-52's, the Cult, Jane's Addiction, David Byrne

Arie Crown Theatre: Pete Townshend

Auditorium Theatre: Showboat

The Chicago Theatre: Miles Davis

Congress Theatre: Verdi's Falstaff

House of Blues: Never been. Can you believe it?

Metro: Pylon, Robbie Williams, Hunter S. Thompson

Old Town School of Folk Music: Peter Rowan, Bill Monroe, the Osborne Brothers, Ralph Stanley, J.D. Crowe, Del McCoury, Richie Havens, Hot Rize

Park West: Leon Redbone, Reverend Horton Heat

Riviera Theatre: The The

Rosemont Theatre: Never been. I'm not even sure where this place is

Soldier Field: The Beach Boys (Chicagofest 1983)

Tweeter Center: Farm Aid 1998, Elvis Costello, Lollapalooza 1991

UIC Pavilion: Phish

United Center: I saw the Bulls play in the old Chicago Stadium a couple of times, but I still have not set foot in the UC

Vic Theatre: Liz Phair

No comments: