Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Where is love?

The World's Greatest Lovers' debut at the Crystal Corner last night went well. We played rather more Hank Williams and rather less Abba than we'd like to in the long run, but overall I'm pleased, especially given how little we rehearsed. In the absence of much in the way of exciting new material, I repeatedly put myself on autopilot for such hoary Ken Burns favorites as "Family Tradition." Lots of Hometown Sweethearts regulars were there, and a number of Junkers and #1 Dad fans also made their way out, including some people I hadn't seen in ages.

I was pleased to sing the old country stuff, but I was more excited about the new-wave covers we performed, songs like Elvis Costello's "Radio Radio" and Talking Heads' "Stay Up Late." People seemed surprised to hear David Byrne's lyrics coming out of my mouth. What can I say? I'm a fan from way back.

And we did get an Abba request. Abba is definitely on the docket.

My favorite moment came during a set break, when a man squeezed my exposed bicep (I was wearing a W.B. shirt) and told me I should work out and get cut, like when I was 18. Eh?

No comments: