Monday, July 05, 2004

Fight the power

Every so often there's a torrent of horrendous press about some piece of Microsoft software, and in the wake I often try out some highly touted alternative.

At first I like the alternative, and especially I like the way using alternative software makes me feel: smug and vaguely transgressive. Then I notice the alternative software has problems. Then I notice it's terrible. Then I switch back to the Microsoft product. This cycle usually runs its course in a day or less.

The alternative I most recently tried and rejected is Mozilla's Firefox browser. An alternative browser seems like a great idea, mostly because hackers and crackers and virus writers and cyber-ne'er-do-wells love to target Microsoft's Internet Explorer. I was especially nervous about recent reports of malicious code that steals your login information when you use Internet Explorer to access certain banking web sites.

At first I thought Firefox was great. Then I noticed it wasn't handling Adobe Acrobat files very well. Then I noticed that Java didn't work at all, so I installed Sun's Java package, which seems buggy (perhaps because my computer has an off-brand processor). Finally I was disturbed by the way Firefox randomly scrolls around in certain documents, especially the main page of washingtonpost.com.

In the end I decided the alternative wasn't worth the trouble, even if using the Microsoft product means worrying about online banditry. I switched back to Internet Explorer.

Other alternative products I've tried include Sun's clunky StarOffice word processor, a disappointing recent version of Netscape, and the poor consumer version of Linux that came preinstalled on my PC.

Sigh. Monopolies wouldn't be so bad if they gave you better choices.

No comments: