Thursday, August 04, 2005

From the archive

In my diary I just ran across an entry, dated Nov. 12, 1995, which I recorded after I saw Monet 1840-1926, a blockbuster exhibit at the Art Institute of Chicago. There was a long wait to get in, and I noted utterances I overheard in the line, which snaked through much of the permanent collection. I also jotted down a few things I heard people say in the exhibit.

Aren't blockbuster art shows fun?

***

In the line:

"Well, we weren't doing anything today, anyway."
"We should have gotten up earlier."
"Does Chicago still have a stock exchange?"
"It's just like at Disney World."
"The lines were like this at Expo '67."
"Is this the line for members?"
"I have to go to the bathroom."
"All this standing is bad for people with bad backs."
"I'm seeing a chiropractor."
"Look at that famous Mary Cassatt."
"Is that impasto?"
"Isn't it wonderful how many artists there have been? They're so creative."
"That needs to be dusted."
"Old paintings let you see how people used to live."
"Americans have one thing on Europeans: they know how to stand in line."
"Will we make it to Miss Saigon by 3:00?"
"How much longer do we have to wait?"

In the exhibit:

"It's so beautiful."
"I have a poster of that."
[Looking at The Reader (Springtime) (1872)]: "1872--wasn't that during our Civil War?"
"That's so beautiful. Ooh!"

No comments: