Tuesday, August 02, 2005

That too

Charles comments below that he habitually sings to himself. Me too! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I remember classmates in grammar school commenting on this habit of mine, and not always in friendly ways.

A common critique of musicals goes something like, "That's not natural. People don't just break out into song." But I'm here to tell you: they do. At least Charles and I do.

It's a bad habit for the office. I keep having to stifle myself when the urge to croon hits me. I once shared an office with a Bulgarian who, seemingly unconsciously, whistled all the livelong day. His repertoire was mildly entertaining--"La Isla Bonita" regularly made the rotation, as did Toto's "Rosanna"--but I don't want to be that guy to my neighbors in cubicle land.

So Charles does this; I do this. Do all singers do this? Does Martin Price do this? What about Joy Dragland? Carl Johns? Aaron Scholz?

No comments: