Sunday, March 18, 2007

Don't bogart that dextromethorphan

I came down with a nasty bug on Friday, and I have been ingesting every appropriate over-the-counter medication I can find in the house. I've taken Advil for the fever and aches, Robitussin for the cough, Flonase and Sudafed for the congestion. I think all of it is helping.

By way of comparison, my loving boyfriend Ereck refuses to take much of anything when he's sick. He argues that symptoms -- fever, for example, and a phlegmy cough -- happen for reasons, and it's best to let these bodily processes work themselves out.

I should mention that I am the child of a doctor, which could be the reason I so happily turn to the meds. What about you? When you're sick with a bug, do you dope yourself up, or let nature run its course?

No comments: