Sunday, March 04, 2007

Love is in the air

I was surprised to learn from this article, which ran in today's Wisconsin State Journal, that the filmmaker Nick Cassavetes' favorite love song is Shania Twain's "You're Still The One." The piece reports the preferred love songs of various celebrities -- including Jennifer Hudson, who cites "My Funny Valentine" but says "I've never understood that song." She raises a good point. I don't understand it either.

I'm struck by the Cassavetes choice because the Shania Twain song is a favorite of mine, too, but I don't like to talk about it. A lot of sensible people despise Twain's music, not without justification, but that song really does cast a spell.

As for my favorite love song, I'd probably have to go with Etta James' "At Last," although I heard one yesterday -- at Walgreens, of all places -- that blew me away as I perusing Teen Vogue: Jeff Healey's "Angel Eyes" (which is a John Hiatt song, for those of you keeping track). I'd completely forgotten about that tune. Thank you, Walgreens.

No comments: